Re: Lightweight mic stands, and wind shields

Subject: Re: Lightweight mic stands, and wind shields
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:08 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "justinasia" > Hi Tom
> Your rig looks great! I'm hoping to make one of Curt's rigs, as soon as I=
 find out which one will be most suitable. Your's looks very well made - I'=
m inspired! Do you just use the first layer of wind shield in light breezes=
, and the fur for heavier breezes? What is involved in attaching the rig to=
 the tripod?

Hi Justin

I live on the coast so there is nearly always a wind.  Normally the thin in=
ner windshield is on the rig at all times.  If I feel/hear the slightest bi=
t of wind in my hair near my ears the dead cat also goes on.  Its surprisin=
g how even a little wind can spoil a recording if the mic has no protection=
.

Good luck with the construction of your head spaced boundary rig.  We all h=
ave to say thanks to Curt, Rob and all the other members of this group who =
show us the way.

I attach my rig to the tripod with a simple grip arrangement which fastens =
to the removable insert that is on the head of most tripods.

This view looking down onto the rig shows the fastening block with the trip=
od insert underneath.  The fastening block grips the transverse tubes of th=
e rig and is tighteneed onto them using the wing nuts. The "fastening faces=
" of the block are lined with non-slip rubber waffle material.

m("N08/3438287717/","//www.flickr.com/photos/16206551");">http:

This view is from the underneath and show the glued in nut (1/4 inch Whitwo=
rth thread) into which the tripod insert screws.  It also shows the heads o=
f the screws the wingnuts tighten on.

m("N08/3438276305/","//www.flickr.com/photos/16206551");">http:

All very simple but effective and lightweight.

Cheers and enjoy your recording

TomR