Re: Lightweight mic stands, and wind shields

Subject: Re: Lightweight mic stands, and wind shields
From: "Richard L. Hess" richardlhess
Date: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:03 pm ((PDT))
At 03:22 PM 2009-04-13, you wrote:
>Does anyone know what Mr. Watson is using in this video?
>
>http://www.chriswatson.net/downloads.html

Not specifically, but it falls into the category "Light Stand" in my
book and a quick look at it seems to tell me that the legs are not
independently adjustable for uneven terrain.

I will admit to being a fan of Gitzo tripods for photography and I
have one that supports my 500mm f/4 Nikkor lens fairly well, although
I have the long-discontinued Black Max that does an even better job,
but it's a surveyors tripod and isn't light. In fact, my Gitzo (a
340?) isn't light, either. I have a discussion from a photo perspective at
http://www.richardhess.com/photo/camsup.htm

I think, looking again at the clamps, the light stand in the video is
probably a Manfrotto (marketed as Bogen in the USA for years).
http://www.manfrotto.ca/catalogpc.htm?Category=3DKIT_STANDS&NBReset=3D3

I prefer PIC light stands which seem to still be available from B&H
Photo and Calumet photo, I have two each of the 9' model
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42548-REG/Pic_4709_4709_Featherlite_S=
tand.html
and the 15' model
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42549-REG/Pic_532_532_Featherlite_Hea=
vy_Duty.html

On the 15' one I have a 3/8-16 stainless steel screw embedded in the
top section and pinned in place with a 4-40 machine screw.

I did the same thing on the 9' one with a 1/4-20 screw and then build
up adapters from there.

Manfrotto/Bogen make the 1/4-3/8 adapters you need.
http://www.manfrotto.ca/product.htm?Product=3D200888&Source=3DSearch
(which I have been using) There is also this
http://www.manfrotto.ca/product.htm?Product=3D200880&Source=3DSearch
which might be better for mics

K-M make the 3/8-5/8 adapters that you need:
http://www.k-m.de/Reducing-screw-gauge.3+M53a79666240.0.html
I have some older brass versions of this one:
http://www.k-m.de/THREAD-ADAPTER.3+M55242c622d1.0.html
and a 1/4-20 brass acorn nut could be rounded off slightly to fit
inside the 1/2-inch side and then I soldered it in. That solves
getting to 5/8-27 from the 1/4-20 thread.

But, my mainstay is the 15' stand (4.5 m) and the 3/8" thread goes
directly into my DPA stereo bar.

In one of the photos linked in this thread I saw a large array with
four mics. I wouldn't attempt to put those on anything but a good
photo tripod. The 9' stand is a little underweight for the DPA stereo
bar in my opinion, but works fine for an AKG stereo bar (shorter).

The stands that have legs that go flat are called "background stands"
I think in that they can get the legs under the seamless paper and
not show (much).

The PIC stands have been around 40-50 years and are a niche NYC photo
item, generally hard to find except that B&H and Calumet carry them.
Google says "Place Closed" for both, so I don't know what's happening.

American Photographic Instrument Co Inc
12 Lincoln Blvd
Emerson, NJ 07630
201-261-2160