Re: field recorder list

Subject: Re: field recorder list
From: "obSession" melvoid2002
Date: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:50 am ((PDT))
I have to report back on my recently-purchased Zoom H4. Winter is still
hanging on here in Wisconsin, so there haven't been a lot of animal sounds
available in the 2 weeks since I've had the machine. I have managed to get =
train passing and a chain saw (for a radio commercial for a fix-it shop). I=
does a very nice job, the stereo imaging is amazing, etc... HOWEVER, today =
-
two weeks since the initial purchase - I just got back from exchanging the
unit... for the 2nd time.

The first one had a faulty "jog" switch - a spring-loaded up/down switch
used for moving through the menus.
The second one was good for about 9 or 10 days and the headphones started
having trouble. On Saturday, the jack broke loose, so when you tried to plu=
in the phones, the jack pushed inside the case. Thinking it might be on a
little hex nut that might have come loose, I attempted to open the unit, bu=
after removing 4 screws, I couldn't get it to open and I didn't want to
force it.

So, today, they gave me #3. I considered paying the difference and getting
the H4N, but those that were in stock were already purchased... and I didn'=
want to wait.

So, my main reason for this message is to tell y'all that, although it
records very well, it might be just a tad on the fragile/cheap side,
construction-wise.

On the other hand, I know at least four others that have them and they
haven't reported any problems.

My $.02 worth.

ms