Re: field recorder list

Subject: Re: field recorder list
From: "justinasia" justinasia
Date: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:14 pm ((PDT))
> Here's the "recorder list" with no frills and missing lots of data:

Hi Rob
Quick note on why I like qualitative measurements:
- I believe they are (at least) as equally valid as quantitative measurements
- I guess that comparison charts are especially useful to people wanting to buy
a new recorder, many of whom may be buying for the first time and so may not be
able to understand numbers as well as they can understand qualitative data. So
I believe adding qualitative data will greatly increase the functionality of a
comparison chart. Perhaps you could even add little explanations for the
columns too, such as "lower EIN value = more quiet". (All that might help
beginners like me to find the information without having to ask too many
questions).

One more thing I think would be very useful to add, is modded models. My
impression is that modded models can have much improved performance over the
stock models enough to make a lot of difference for nature recording. But since
they do not seem to feature on any comparison charts, it is difficult to
compare them. Perhaps it is just because the reviewers do not try them? When I
was researching which recorder to get, I received no feedback on the modded
models from this group, so I asked Doug Oade directly about some EIN values,
which I thought would be the most useful way for comparing them for nature
recording. Here is his reply concerning the 2 models I was interested in, which
may be useful for the new chart:

About the Marantz PMD 661
"The improvement is about 3dB resulting in an EIN of about -128dBu for the
[Marantz PMD] 661 Super MOD.  It would not have as much gain as the MixPre but
would have much better detail and clarity as it has a higher SFDR on the front
end.
 I like the [Fostex] FR2LE Super MOD for acoustic music recording best [I also
asked him about quiet acoustic music] , EIN is about 130dBu post MOD. Why is
simple, I can use much better capacitors in the signal path plus it has a
better A/D chip and less electronics in the signal path. It does not have as
much gain as the 661, but it is close. It also uses a simple,  pure FET signal
path up to the A/D chip. This gives it the most natural sound and the best low
level detail. If you listen carefully and use headphones or a hi resolution
playback system, I feel confident you will agree."

I asked also about the EIN for the Marantz PMD 620. He didn't have it on hand
but said this:
"The 620 is almost  as quiet as the [Sony] D50 post MOD"

If you told him about the chart, I expect he would be happy to provide more
figures for his modded models. His quietest Marantz PMD 620 has the internal
mics and plug in power removed, by the way, to make it quieter, so has less
features. But that combined with rebuilt preamps etc, he says makes for a
quieter better recorder (and more gain).

I have no connection to Doug by the way, except from having ordered from him
recently. I just wanted to share about it as it seems that what he is doing
should be so useful for the nature recording community, making the recorders
quieter, sometimes higher gain, and more accurate sound. If I could help to
give you more info when my modded fr-2le and 620 arrive, I would be happy to
try though I am not very "high tech"! My microtrack is stock so perhaps I could
compare it to that as a known reference. If that would be wanted, please
contact me.

Justin