Re: 744 battery switchover test

Subject: Re: 744 battery switchover test
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:18 am ((PDT))
At 4:07 PM -0700 10/24/08, Dan Dugan wrote:
>... They said they found a fault in the switchover circuitry, but
>obviously that didn't correct
>this problem.
>
>I'm paying $500 to have my files recovered...don't want to do that
>again!

Ouch. I've had my 2.5" drive out before. I assume one could use a
Message: 2.
Subject: 5" ATA connector cable and access the drive with Mac Disk Utility
and/or Disk Warrior.

>>  I wonder how it will work with a lead-acid battery. Anyone try that?
>>  I assume the same.
>
>This was with a lead-acid battery. SD says lead-acid batteries bounce
>back when the load is shed, and that causes the problem. I've
>suggested adding hysteresis to the decision circuit.

I've never observe my 744T revert back to the lead acid powering
after switch-over. Sounds like there could be a hardware difference
in my 744T and yours. Mine's a very early unit. I wonder if SD's
"fault"/explanation is consistent with the difference in performance
we are experiencing?

>Pro Digital isn't very organized, marketing-wise. The battery pack
>isn't on their web site, and doesn't have a model name! It's a gel-
>cell brick in a nice soft case with fuse, two 4-pin XLRs, and a wall-
>wart charger added. Just talk to Paul Plotnick there, (610) 353-2400.
>This product replaces the defunct Eco-Charge battery.
>
>BTW they don't tell you, but PD wires one XLR 1 & 2 minus, 3 & 4 plus,
>and the other connector 1 minus, 4 plus. I've labeled the 1 & 4 only
>connector "recorder."
>
>>  Perhaps if the external battery pack would disconnect itself in a
>>  protection mode (i.e, open the output at a certain voltage), that
>>  might solve the problem until SD updates this "feature".
>
>Off-list Greg Clark suggested he could build such a device. I asked
>him if it could be made in a 4-pin XLR barrel.

You could also try your car battery and see if it makes any
difference. Seems like its narrowing down to 744T hardware-- which
would be something they need to address. Rob D.