Re: 744 battery switchover test

Subject: Re: 744 battery switchover test
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:57 am ((PDT))
At 1:58 PM -0500 10/27/08, Rob Danielson wrote:
>At 4:29 PM +0000 10/27/08, John Hartog wrote:
>
>  >> Seems like it could be time for a collective request to SD to address
>>>  some of their recorders' difficulties in making long-duration
>>>  recordings in the field. I'm curious if there are other
>>>  hardware/firmware patterns we could gather for a collective email.
>>
>>Good Idea.
>
>If we can get the signatures of 20+ SD owners, it might help. I'll
>draft an email to Jon Tatooles if we get a enough interest and some
>well-organized clues to possibly help their efforts. It will be a
>pleasant request. Rob D.
>

>>>  anyone else besides me NOT experiencing problems with external
>>>  batteries for long recordings with their 7 series recorder? Rob D.
>>
>>That would be good to know.
>>
>  >John Hartog

I talked to Rich Peet who has a early version 2  SD 722 recorder
(2006) running the most current firmware. His experience is identical
to mine-- no problems with any type of battery (including lead acid)
and no repair utility corruptions.  I looked over the SD web site and
the problem is not evident there. No mention of the advice to not use
lead acid batteries. To me, these clues suggest a possible a hardware
change after ~2006.  If we can collect more reports from 7XX series
users, we might have more success with SD giving the problem due
attention. Their offices are close to me here in Wisconsin. Email me
off list at  with this info:

(1) Model of 7xx series you have and the year purchased.
(2) Current firmware used
(3) Type and size of _external_ battery (ies) you typically use
(4) How long of a recording can you typically make with this external
battery pack.
(5) Whether you have experienced the loss of recordings associated
with external power supply "switch-over" or plain powering down with
your battery/7XX recorder combination.
(6) Is your external battery pack powering other items such as an
external preamp?
(7) Does the type (LiOn, Lead Acid, NiMH, NiCad) of external battery
you use seem to lessen the chances of losing recordings associated
with the "switch-over" event?

Rob D.