54

Subject: 54
> Have you / are you going to let Sound
> Devices know? That's certainly not a "feature", though I wouldn't
> want to call it a "bug", either.

Copied it to them. We've just been through a cycle of my sending my
744 back after this happened the first time. They said they found a
fault in the switchover circuitry, but obviously that didn't correct
this problem.

I'm paying $500 to have my files recovered...don't want to do that
again!

> I wonder how it will work with a lead-acid battery. Anyone try that?
> I assume the same.

This was with a lead-acid battery. SD says lead-acid batteries bounce
back when the load is shed, and that causes the problem. I've
suggested adding hysteresis to the decision circuit.

Pro Digital isn't very organized, marketing-wise. The battery pack
isn't on their web site, and doesn't have a model name! It's a gel-
cell brick in a nice soft case with fuse, two 4-pin XLRs, and a wall-
wart charger added. Just talk to Paul Plotnick there, (610) 353-2400.
This product replaces the defunct Eco-Charge battery.

BTW they don't tell you, but PD wires one XLR 1 & 2 minus, 3 & 4 plus,
and the other connector 1 minus, 4 plus. I've labeled the 1 & 4 only
connector "recorder."

> Perhaps if the external battery pack would disconnect itself in a
> protection mode (i.e, open the output at a certain voltage), that
> might solve the problem until SD updates this "feature".

Off-list Greg Clark suggested he could build such a device. I asked
him if it could be made in a 4-pin XLR barrel.

-Dan Dugan