Re: cable question

Subject: Re: cable question
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:36 pm ((PDT))
Posted by: "Paul Jacobson"

> I'm using Canare L-4E6S terminated at each end with 5-pin XLR's for
> the main run. I wasn't able to find the HD versions Walt uses but
> haven't experienced any problems with the standard Neutrik nc-fxx/nc-
> mxx in what are admittedly fairly mild conditions.  For the Y
> adapters I'm using Canare L-2ES. It's small enough that you can just
> squeeze 2 cables into the boot of the XLR connectors.

I've managed once to drown the X-HD connector.  It was on a Y and the
braid I use wicked water in when I dipped it in a pond for a while (and
it was only a few inches below my SASS).  You really do need the X-HD if
you record in wet areas like I do.

The 5 pin X-HD have become harder to get for some reason.  But Neutrik
helps in that the internal connector block is the same dimensions for
either 3 or 5.  So last time I got some X-HD 3 pin and X series 5 pin
and interchanged the insides to come up with 5 pin X-HD.  I can use the
less waterproof 3 pin because they are plugged into the recorder or mics
and have to be protected from water anyway. Only the cable runs
themselves need the full protection of the X-HD.

As I noted I have a length of Canare star quad 2 channel snake cable.
Each channel of that inside the snake cable is a mini star quad cable
you can strip out.  Even smaller than the small size full cable due to a
thinner outer jacket.  Those fit into the Neutric connectors very
nicely. They have been very durable for me.