Re: cable question

Subject: Re: cable question
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:42 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "Greg Simmons" <> wr=
ote:

> If I understand correctly, you're proposing to divide the four inner cond=
uctors of a star
> quad cable into two pairs for stereo. So you would strip back the outer i=
nsulation as far
> back as you needed, revealing the four inner conductors. Then you would d=
ivide them into
> two pairs and slip a bit of heatshrink tubing over each one to keep them =
together. Add an
> additional length of heatshrink over the point where the outer insulation=
 ends and you're
> done.

Ah, silly me!

Of course, if you're using star quad you're going to need to pull back the =
shield (as Paul
suggested), and figure out how to get that into each of the terminating XLR=
s. You could
unwind it and re-twist it into two lengths (one for each XLR), but you'll l=
ose the shielding
over those lengths.

Maybe the 5-pin XLR is not such a bad idea after all!