Re: cable question

Subject: Re: cable question
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:17 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Greg Simmons"

> Of course, if you're using star quad you're going to need to pull back th=
e shield (as Paul
> suggested), and figure out how to get that into each of the terminating X=
LRs. You could
> unwind it and re-twist it into two lengths (one for each XLR), but you'll=
 lose the shielding
> over those lengths.
>
> Maybe the 5-pin XLR is not such a bad idea after all!

In my 5 pin system the braid shield goes all the way inside every
connector and is soldered to the appropriate pin and the connector
shield. No untwisting and retwisting the inner conductors either.

There is no need for heat shrink the way I do it, the outer cover of
each cable goes all the way to the strain relief clamp inside the XLR.
The small cables I strip out of the two channel canare star quad have
their own braid shielding that runs from connector to connector without
breaks or unbraiding outside the XLR's.  I thought since the outer
jacket of these cables was thin I'd have some failures, but so far none
of my Y connectors have failed except for a couple solder joints at the
xlr pins where the wire broke at the pin.

Canare star quad is shielded with a proper braid shield, not a twisted
shield. Twisted shielding is really only appropriate for permanently
installed wiring in a studio, not for portable cables.  You have to
unweave the braid a bit to connect it inside the XLR. I unweave just
over 1/2" of the braid to do this. No sliding the braid back either as I
only remove that much of the outer cover. Each inner conductor is
stripped less than 1/8" to solder it to the pins in the XLR.

The 5 pin two channels through a single star quad works because nature
recording is generally done well away from stray EMF interference.  I'd
not try the same system on a soundstage or such.