Re: cable question

Subject: Re: cable question
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:40 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:

> In my 5 pin system the braid shield goes all the way inside every
> connector and is soldered to the appropriate pin and the connector
> shield. No untwisting and retwisting the inner conductors either.
>
> There is no need for heat shrink the way I do it, the outer cover of
> each cable goes all the way to the strain relief clamp inside the XLR.

The untwisting and re-twisting of the inner conductors, and the related
application of heat shrink, would only be necessary if using a single
channel star quad cable (e.g. Canare L-4E5C, as the original poster was
given) to make a stereo cable that terminated with two male XLRs on one
end, and two female XLRs on the other end. In that case, it's going to
get messy and potentially unreliable. Much better to take the '5-pin +
break outs' path.

The 2930 Mogami I use is a two-channel cable, so it is easy to work
with (the same as you've described above, but without star quad
configuration). However, the insulation covering each of the inner
pairs in the Mogami feels quite soft and thin to me, and vulnerable to
damage, so I add the heat shrink tubing; it strengthens the only weak
point I see in the cable, and gives the XLR's strain relief clamp a bit
more 'purchase'. My biggest fear is having the cable accidentally torn
out from the XLR due to the strain relief clamp getting insufficient
purchase.

I'm going to check out that kevlar tubing you suggested earlier; it
looks like a very good idea...

- Greg Simmons