Re: cable question

Subject: Re: cable question
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:10 pm ((PDT))
David,

It looks like the shielding of the cable has been removed back to the
Y then pairs split out and heat shrink used to cover the two pairs.
So the individual wires in each pair are continuous runs between the
XLR connectors - no solder joins at the Y.

I'm using Canare L-4E6S terminated at each end with 5-pin XLR's for
the main run. I wasn't able to find the HD versions Walt uses but
haven't experienced any problems with the standard Neutrik nc-fxx/nc-
mxx in what are admittedly fairly mild conditions.  For the Y
adapters I'm using Canare L-2ES. It's small enough that you can just
squeeze 2 cables into the boot of the XLR connectors.

http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/recording-gear/y-adapter

cheers
Paul