Re: cable question

Subject: Re: cable question
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:09 am ((PDT))
--- In  "David Kuhn" <>
wrote:

> Hi listeners, a friend gave me a partial roll of Canare L-4E5C, Mini
> StarQuad cable.

According to Canare's web site, L-4E5C is made for remote field
expeditions, so it should serve you well.

http://tinyurl.com/3ea7w3

> With my novice soldering skills, I'm looking to build a
> 100foot cable terminating with two 3-pin Neutrik connectors, for long-
> run hook-ups on back-pack trips.

When you say two 3-pin Neutriks, do you mean one at each end, or two at
each end (i.e. a stereo cable)? If you're intending to use it as a
stereo cable, drill down through the archives; that's been discussed
here previously with varying opinions.

If you intend to use it for stereo, be sure to dress the ends properly
with heatshrink tubing - one length over each break-out pair, and one
length to bond them back into the outer insulation, like this:

http://tinyurl.com/697jny
http://tinyurl.com/6z6xs7

That will probably extend the life of the cable considerably.

If you're not experienced with heatshrink, be careful with the amount
of heat you apply on the break-out pairs because their insulation is
quite thin and you risk melting through it and bonding the internal
wires together. Experiment with some off-cuts first of all. Also,
choose heatshrink in diameters that are only marginally larger than the
cable you're putting it over, so that it does not require much heat to
shrink to the appropriate size.

- Greg Simmons