Re: cable question

Subject: Re: cable question
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:46 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "David Kuhn"

 > Hi listeners, a friend gave me a partial roll of Canare L-4E5C, Mini
StarQuad cable. With my novice soldering skills, I'm looking to build a
100foot cable terminating with two 3-pin Neutrik connectors, for long-
 > run hook-ups on back-pack trips. Considering the light weight
(compared to the regular StarQuad) of this cable, is this a bad idea?

I use this for all my longer cables, exactly because it's lighter weight
and less bulk. Only bad side is it does not coil quite as neatly as the
larger version.  Only difference in design is I set the cables up with
5-pin Neutrik weatherproof X-HD series. Then I have short Y breakouts
used at the ends to go to 3-pin. The Y breakouts are made using even
smaller star quad cables stripped from a Canare 2 channel snake cable.
Stronger than trying to breakout the mini cable and if you are stringing
several cables together the breakout Y's are only needed at the ends.