Re: 'All purpose' mic?

Subject: Re: 'All purpose' mic?
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:35 am ((PDT))
--- In  "Ian Cozine" <>
wrote:

> Hi Tom and Max,
>
> I will look into both the ME66/K6 and theRode NT4, thanks for the
> suggestions.
>
> Tom, I would love to hear the NT4 in action. Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Ian

Hi Ian

I thought I would post a link to the test here - maybe others would
like to hear it.

The recording was made in my back garden on a damp, somewhat windy
morning.  There was not a lot going on but a green woodpecker makes a
brief appearance. The recording does compare the two sets of
microphones in a side by side set up ( look in the "G=D8SBW's Photos"
album in the Photos section of this Group).

The LS-10 was set to recording level 7, mic sensitivity - high.

The recording is here:

m("btinternet.com/internalls10vnt4.mp3","//uk.geocities.com/g0sbw");">http:

The LS-10 mic's built in bass roll off is clearly demonstrated.  To my
ears the Rode gives better spatial definition as well as a deeper bass.

In the UK the Rode NT4 and the LS-10 cost about the same +/- =A3250. I'm
not sure that the LS-10/NT4 combination is =A3250 better than the LS-10
on its own.

However, if you decide to continue with the recording hobby then the
additional cost of a good microphone could be considered an investment
as it can be used to good effect when a better recorder is eventually
purchased.

Have fun, cheers

Tom Robinson