Re: 'All purpose' mic?

Subject: Re: 'All purpose' mic?
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:09 am ((PDT))
--- In  Max Catterwell
<> wrote:

> Think about a secondhand Sennheiser ME66/K6 mic/powering unit
> combination. This is a quality mic with reasonable self noise and
> adequate gain. Bear in mind when budgeting for something like this,
that
> there are other necessities to go with it. A good quality lead with
good
> quality connectors. Some kind of suspension mount, either with just a
> 'fluffy' for wind protection, or housed inside a blimp (the Indian ones
> are cheap, not bad, and come complete with fluffy convering), and
> possibly some kind of mount like a tripod or boom pole.
> All the best

Hi Ian and Max

Another possibility is the R=D8DE NT4.  This is a stereo cardioid mic
that can be powered by a 9V(pp9 battery placed in the mic casing.
Probably not as suitable as the ME66/K6 for species recording but very
suitable for general purpose recording (in stereo) such as the garbage
trucks etc. you mentioned  It also gives reasonable, wide stage,
ambiance type, nature recordings.  Purchased new it is over your $300
target but it might be available second hand.

I took my NT4 and LS-10 out in the garden this morning and they worked
OK together.  I can e-mail you the results directly if you wish. The
newer NT4s have a 10dB attenuator in the mic lead, supplied with the
mic,  which is fitted with the 3.5 stereo minijack (suitable for the
LS-10)  Because I use the NT4 mostly for nature recording I have
removed that.  However if you intend to use your setup for regularly
recording sounds louder than those normally associated with nature
recording you might want to leave the attenuator pad in place.

Cheers

Tom Robinson