Re: 'All purpose' mic?

Subject: Re: 'All purpose' mic?
From: "Max Catterwell" oatcruncher
Date: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:01 pm ((PDT))

iancozine wrote:
> Hi Max,
> Great to hear more positive comments about the LS-10! I heard a few of
> Vicky's LS-10 recordings by perusing the archives here. They are what
> made me get off the fence recorder-wise.
>
> -Ian

Hi again Ian!
I have to say I'm somewhat surprised at the lack of response to your
post, but hasten to add this is in no way a criticism. I'm guessing it
may have been because of the range of stuff you want to record. But let
me put forward at least one suggestion, and then maybe someone will jump
in and shoot me down in flames.
Think about a secondhand Sennheiser ME66/K6 mic/powering unit
combination. This is a quality mic with reasonable self noise and
adequate gain. Bear in mind when budgeting for something like this, that
there are other necessities to go with it. A good quality lead with good
quality connectors. Some kind of suspension mount, either with just a
'fluffy' for wind protection, or housed inside a blimp (the Indian ones
are cheap, not bad, and come complete with fluffy convering), and
possibly some kind of mount like a tripod or boom pole.
All the best
Max