'All purpose' mic?

Subject: 'All purpose' mic?
From: "iancozine" iancozine
Date: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:39 am ((PDT))
Hello group,

I finally ordered my first field recorder, an LS-10. Initially I was
leaning towards the Edirol HR1 but the LS-10 looks like a lot of fun.
Plus, if I decide to go deep into field recording and end up getting
something a little more 'pro' I suspect the LS-10 would still find
itself getting a lot of use by virtue of it being easy to use and its
small form factor. of course I guess that could be said of any of the
sub $500 recorders.

I *almost* picked up a sub-$100 shotgun mic but then decided to
benefit from the wisdom of others and not be so hasty. I will settle
for the internal mics until I can afford something just a little nicer.

Which leads me to my question: I very much want to record birds and
insects, but also planes, traffic, machines, etc. Like most mere
mortals, money is certainly an object, and I'd like to get a mic I
could use for recording both birds and garbage trucks, though not at
the same time. Under $300 is what I am hoping to spend. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Ian