Re: 'All purpose' mic?

Subject: Re: 'All purpose' mic?
From: "Max Catterwell" oatcruncher
Date: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:57 am ((PDT))
Hi Ian!
I think you're going to get a lot of response to this post, and for what
it's worth I'll add my comments. Firstly I'm a beginner too, but I think
I can add something.
I personally feel you've made a very good choice in the LS-10, as I own
one of these also. You're absolutely right when you say that it will
still find use even if you upgrade to something more professional. I
have already gone one step further, by picking up a secondhand FR2-LE on
eBay, but find that my LS-10 is getting more use at present. The reason
is obvious; you can stick it in your pocket any time you're out for a
walk. Because the battery life is so good, you can have it turned on all
the time, ready to use instantly, or even do what I do, and have it
actually recording all the time while it's tucked in your shirt pocket,
and then just whip it out when anything of interest turns up.
Check Vicki's, and other recent posts for optimal settings, although you
may find that these are to a degree governed by the gain of your mic.
This brings your final, and most important question to mind; which mic
to buy?  I have some ideas on this, but I think I'll leave it to the
more experienced members to give you their opinions. I have a feeling
that it might be about to get a little complicated for you, with a lot
of head scratching!
Good luck with whatever you end up with, and the recordings you make.
Max