Re: Decca Tree?

Subject: Re: Decca Tree?
From: "grant finlay" grantfinlay
Date: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:48 pm ((PDT))
I tend to place my mics around 10-12ft up to get a better sound.
The theory is you have less ground reflections up higher , call me
crazy but it works for me...

ps: I'm looking at selling my Neumann RSM191i microphone (with case ,
rycote etc)
and am wanting a mkh40/30 stereo kit. Also a Sound Devices 702/722
recorder if anyones got a spare (?)

Grant.

http://grantfinlay.podomatic.com

Posted by: "Kevin Colver"    kjcolver
Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:25 am (PDT)

 > Scott,

Thanks for the Decca info. Regarding the placement of mics up and
over the sound field, I've wondered about this in field recording.
Sometimes, when on a steep hill, I get this effect and it gives a
nice stereo field. Walt mounts his mics on a very tall mic stand
with good results. Does the group think this would be worthwhile to
try to consistently achieve? Usually if my mics are nearly at ground
level I get a dull and blunted stereo effect. I've wondered if I
should string my MKH 30/40 pair up on a rope into a tall tree to get
this effect? Does anyone do that?
Kevin