Re: Decca Tree?

Subject: Re: Decca Tree?
From: "Kim Cascone" anechoicmedia
Date: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:40 am ((PDT))
> Interesting thoughts, Kim, but properly handling a 2 meter wide bunch
> of pipes in the field is far less likely to happen than proper
> balance when decoding the MS.
Lou
as 'spec'd' the Decca Tree spacing can be from 70 - 100 cm from A ->
x ; B -> x and C -> x

------------C
------------|
A----------x----------B

and nothing in the 'spec' states that there need be a pipe involved
there are probably other ways to arrange three omni's in the field
that don't involve plumbing skills ;)

and unless you can point me to an M-S recording that is properly'
decoded ' I think Scott was spot on when he observed:
> A good way to determine how realistic your stereo field is, is
> to face a road while a vehicle drives past from far left (or right)
> to the far other side. On playback there should be an absolutely
> linear sense of motion from one side through a well defined center to
> the opposite side. If the car stays mostly in one speaker, then
> abruptly jumps to the other side this may be dramatic but it's not a
> realistic depiction of the stereo field.

and then:
> This is a problem I hear
> with many of my older head-mounted (quasi-binaural) lavaliere
> recordings, which is a similar set up to a Jecklin or boundary
> separated omni array, & this dictates why the boundary can easily be
> too big for good stereo.
I have to agree that most of the boundary separated recordings I've
heard also suffer from a similar 'hole in the middle' effect
that I hear in the exaggerated M-S decodings

I think this might be less apparent with ambient nature recordings
due to a (mostly) stationary sound field
but with location recording for film and video it becomes very obvious

also, while having dinner with a film sound guy in Paris he said that
most location recordists in the European film industry have abandoned
M-S for XY and A-B
not only because of the decoding mess but because people complained
about the 'faux stereo effect'
in fact he showed me his mic collection and asked if I knew anyone
who wanted to buy his M-S mics - I think he had the Neuman MS shotgun
-- too rich for my blood!

anyway, I'm still interested in hearing some Decca Tree field
recordings...