Re: binaural mics, XLR connections and Fostex FR2-LE

Subject: Re: binaural mics, XLR connections and Fostex FR2-LE
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:58 pm ((PDT))
Hector Centeno wrote:

> I use a Fostex FR2-LE with both a pair of AT-3032 and a pair of
> binaural mics made with Sennheiser MKE-2 capsules that I mount on the
> sides of a baseball cap (right above the ears).
>
> The AT-3032 have vrey good sensitivity and the FR2-LE gain is more
> than enough for recording quiet environments (and with very low
> noise).

Thereby hangs a tale...

Gina Farr attended the Cornell nature recording workshop, and then the
Nature Sounds Society's workshop, both at Yuba Pass. Gina produces
Wild Sound Stories:

<http://www.youtube.com/ginafarr>

Gina had recently acquired a nice rig: 3032s, a Jecklin Disk, and an
FR2-LE. The Cornell gang told her that it was unsuitable for nature
recording because there wasn't enough gain! Someone loaned her an MP-2
that she used patched into the mic inputs [sic!]. When we met at the
workshop she was all bummed that her new gear wasn't going to be what
she expected. She was preparing to either buy a preamp or replace the
recorder.

Martyn and I begged to differ, based on reports we'd heard here. I did
an experiment with the left channel of her pair going through my MP-2
into the Fostex left mic input[!] with the trimmer all the way down,
and the right channel mic going direct into the Fostex with the gain
trim all the way up. In the ambience of the lab room, we didn't hear
any significant difference between the channels. I regret we were
unable to try that at a quiet time.

-Dan Dugan