Re: binaural mics, XLR connections and Fostex FR2-LE

Subject: Re: binaural mics, XLR connections and Fostex FR2-LE
From: "Hector Centeno" hmcenteno
Date: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:26 am ((PDT))
Lily,

I use a Fostex FR2-LE with both a pair of AT-3032 and a pair of
binaural mics made with Sennheiser MKE-2 capsules that I mount on the
sides of a baseball cap (right above the ears).

The AT-3032 have vrey good sensitivity and the FR2-LE gain is more
than enough for recording quiet environments (and with very low
noise). The stereo image with the 3032s is quite good using a wooden
barrier I built based on the ones shown here:
http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/mic_rigs.html

For the binaural mics I have to set the gain to the maximum at quiet
locations and I get some mic noise (which is not that intrusive since
it is low freq) but in urban locations I have to reduce the level a
little to avoid clipping (specially when noisy trucks pass by) and the
mic self-noise is not noticeable at all (of coure, it gets masked by
all that urban noise).

The binaural mics are powered by a external battery box that has a
1/8'' stereo plug (TRS) for output. In order to connect the 1/8'' to
the Fostex's XLR inputs I built an adapter soldering, for each
channel, the (+) to pin 2 of the XLR, the (-) to pin 3 and 1
(soldering the (-) to pin 3 and bridging it to pin 1). I can make
available some pictures if you are planning to build it.

Cheers!

Hector