Re: Anyone recording "family ambience"?

Subject: Re: Anyone recording "family ambience"?
From: "Hugh Livingston" oaklandonian
Date: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:29 pm ((PDT))
My grandmother took an old (well, modern at the time!) Sony cassette
deck with her while on a riverboat down the Nile in the mid-1970s.
She recorded audio letters home to me and my brother, replete with
interviewing bizarre people she met and asking them to send messages
to us. All the while you can hear the engines chugging in the
background and kids calling out from the shore as the boat passes.
Quite an evocative experience. I have used the material in my sound
art work several times.

Also, it turns out from family recordings that I had a really strong
Southern accent when I was 6.

Thank goodness for the audio record.

--
Hugh Livingston