Re: Anyone recording "family ambience"?

Subject: Re: Anyone recording "family ambience"?
From: "Heather Perkins" landonewts
Date: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:58 am ((PDT))
I record household sounds and ambiances a lot. Most of my off-the-
cuff and found-voice recordings are of strangers, though, and also
machines.

Sometimes I get people chatting in waiting rooms, washing machines,
pubs, ice rinks (Zamboni!) and such are as resonant for me as my bird
recordings and crickets and such. I have a ton of recordings of my
dog making her waking-up noises, and my cat purring. I have a whole
folder just for babies crying in restaurants. I got a great
harmonious drone from a passing street sweeper.

I also used to collect old reel to reel tapes, and my treasure-find
was one with two young girls singing along to records and joking with
each other. I have no idea who they are, but I listen to that
recording a lot.

- H

Heather Perkins
Sound Designer - Composer - Mad Scientist
WaterDog Studio & Land-O-Newts! Records

"I can't understand why people are afraid of new ideas.  I'm afraid
of the old ones."
- John Cage