Re: is mkh416 an upgrade from me66?

Subject: Re: is mkh416 an upgrade from me66?
From: "Philip Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:24 am ((PDT))
Hi Paul

If I may can I point you at:

http://www.astd59.dsl.pipex.com/Nature%20III.html

This is a recording I made using two ME66's onto a Sony MZ-RH1, there is a =
link to part 2 of the recording as well. The mics were phantom powered by t=
he way, see note later.

The recording has not been eq'ed in any way, all I have done is topped and =
tailed it and added a bit of a fade in and out.

The ME66 in the UK seems to be universally the 'mic of choice' for news gat=
hering and single camera work where a directional mic is required. As such =
I think Sennheiser 'roll off' the bottom end as this is where microphones w=
ould be most vulnerable to wind noise and general 'urban' low frequency's c=
ausing overload and bumping. I find they respond well to adding some LF lif=
t in post production if needed. For the type of nature recordings I do I fi=
nd them quite good and they don't break the bank either, especially as they=
 can be bought for about half price on e-bay often. Which is what I did and=
 got Sennheiser to give them the once over for me.
Yes an MKH60 would be nice but my bank manager and more importantly the wif=
e would tend to disagree! :-))
I have found that the K6/ME66 combination gives the lowest self noise when =
phantom powered, when using the battery the self noise increases and its qu=
ality changes. But that said you can still get some excellent results when =
using battery power, and an MZ-RH1 and two K6/ME66's make for a very compac=
t recording kit when needed.

Phil