Re: is mkh416 an upgrade from me66?

Subject: Re: is mkh416 an upgrade from me66?
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 pm ((PDT))
I would only add to his that the 416 isn't just kept around because
of old habits, but it has a pretty unique 'sound' that people love,
myself included. It's a fantastic sounding mic, and has a warmth and
character that the MKH60 doesn't have, even with it's better specs.
The MKH60 also sounds very nice, but does sound 'different' than a
Message: 416.
Subject: Most people seem to agree that for recording dialog, the 416
still sounds better than an MKH60, which is why it's still made, it's
probably among the most common dialog recording mics used. It's also
a fantastic mono FX gathering microphone. It's really nice on guns.

However, for nature recording, I would probably favor the MKH60
because of it's better specs and lower noise. I've never heard an ME66.

Tim