Re: Flash based IDE drives...

Subject: Re: Flash based IDE drives...
From: "Moe Kunkle" alabamasingers
Date: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:50 pm ((PDT))
My laptop dropped only 8 inches when my foot caught a cable connected
to it. There were read/write operations taking place at that exact
moment. There was no damage to the laptop proper. However, serious
damage was done to the data on that drive. Of course this is anecdotal.

A hard drive is a hard drive is a hard drive. It's limitations do not
change whether in a desktop, a laptop or a field recorder. If subjected
to some g-force shock at a angle perpendicular to the rotating disc
surface, there is a high likelihood that the head could strike the disc
and damage the surface/data.

Any solid state memory solution can be affected by EM field artifacts
from lightening or static electricity etc.....
You do not have to be hard wired to take a hit from a high em field
event such as a lightning strike etc....

Rory, if your suggesting that Oryoko is spouting some theory/sales
hype, might I suggest that your propagandistic attitude with regard to
the well known characteristics of the technologies we are discussing
here suggest that maybe you are trying to deny the possibility that
mechanical data storage technologies are well on their way to
obsolescence.

Moe Kunkle