Re: Flash based IDE drives...

Subject: Re: Flash based IDE drives...
From: "Eric Benjamin" ericbenjamin2
Date: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:18 pm ((PDT))
--- Rory <> wrote:
> Do you have any actual evidence to support the
> statements that you make about problems with hard
> drives?

What Oryoki said was that SSDs, relative to hard disks
are:
"less vulnerable to shock while operating"

Which is not really open to dispute.  As an example,
the Seagate Barracuda IV disk drives that I favor for
desktop usage have an operating shock rating of 63 Gs.
 In contrast, the Sandisk SSDs are rated at 1500 Gs.
No contest.

The question is one of whether the shock limits of
conventional hard drives are reached in actual use.
Based on my experiences designing products of similar
size, I certainly think that the shock limit of the
Seagate drive, for example, would be exceeded if it
were dropped while operating.

Of course, your answer to that may be "don't drop it".
 I concur, but in field usage it may happen.

Eric