Re: 16 Bit & 24 Bit recordings

Subject: Re: 16 Bit & 24 Bit recordings
From: "Richard Humphries" mdsfx
Date: Fri May 25, 2007 4:23 am ((PDT))
I've just had a listen to these files. It appears that the 16 bit cowbird f=
ile is mono and the
24 bit file is stereo. Perhpas I've made an error, but that is the way they=
 play for me.

The recordings of the MKH20 have such a drastic difference in backround noi=
se (i.e. the
tone of the ambience has shifted) that it is impossible to make a accurate =
comparison.

I'll try to make my own recordings the next time I get some free time (ha!)=
 and see if I can
do any better (ha ha!).

I must add that while some on this list have grown tired of this topic it d=
oes not mean that
everyone has. I have been sitting back quietly and watching and enjoying th=
e discussion
unfold.

Now let me stir the pot some more: I'm surprised no one has yet brought up =
the afffect of
24 bit recording on stereo image. Some say that the increased resolution he=
lps in defining
one sides image in relation to the other, thus makeing the stereo image mor=
e [insert
favorite adjective here].

Best to all.

-Richard