Re: A Manifesto About Quality: Five Theses

Subject: Re: A Manifesto About Quality: Five Theses
From: "Syd Curtis"
Date: Fri May 25, 2007 4:48 am ((PDT))
With reference to:

> From: Rob Danielson <>
> Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 14:37:23 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] A Manifesto About Quality:  Five Theses
>
> At 3:26 PM +0000 5/24/07, geopaul7 wrote:
>> In descending order of importance, these
>> elements affect the quality of a nature sound
>> recording:  They have non-linear abilities to affect quality.=A0
>>
>> 1.  Fieldcraft:  This is the concept of using
>> one's natural history and ecological knowledge
>> to be in the right sonic place at the right
>> time.  Do you know your subject?  Can you get
>> close?    Have you chosen a place where there is
>> little or no machine noise?  Will you scare
>> your subject away?  Do you know the likely
>> singal to noise ratio?  Have you chosen an
>> interesing subject?  Do you have a good ear?
>> Are you tuned into the biophony?=A0=A0
>> "Fieldcraft" is taken from Knapp, 2007.  All
>> great nature recordists are masters in this area.

By co-incidence, earlier this week,  I had occasion to email the National
Parks and Wildlife Service of New South Wales (Australia) seeking a
scientific permit to allow me to tape-record the song of lyrebirds in Uralb=
Nature Reserve, and I said this:

Any recording would be interesting to me, but to be fully useful it must be
a natural  performance of the bird -  not one that might have been
influenced by the bird's perception of my presence.

With few exceptions, all Albert's Lyrebirds are intensely shy.  Certainly
the Uralba ones were when I recorded there in (I think) 1983 when the area
was State Forest.  To get a recording of reasonable quality using a
parabolic reflector, I need to get to something less than 100 m, and
preferably less than 50 m, from the bird.   So you can be sure I would be
doing my utmost not to disturb him.

But my main aim is to locate one of the bird's most-used display platforms,
and place a microphone no more than about two metres  from it, with 50 m or
so of cable back to where I can be concealed from the sight of the bird.

You may be concerned that I might use play-back of territorial songs to
stimulate singing.   I can assure you that I would not do so.  Firstly
because the resulting performance would not be his natural song, but also
because of a much stronger reason which I'll now explain.

(I guess I need not include that stronger reason here.)

My experience endorses the view that field craft is of prime importance.

Cheers

Syd Curtis

(Brisbane, Australia)

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: