Re: what's the diff. between mp3 recorder & mini disc?

Subject: Re: what's the diff. between mp3 recorder & mini disc?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon Apr 9, 2007 10:52 pm ((PDT))
At 7:45 AM -0700 4/9/07, aaron s wrote:
>I have to give a counter to a few of the claims that
>are Pro MD.
>The disc themselves. I am finding buying 1GB Hi-MD
>disc at around $7 each. I just bought a 4GB CF card
>for $35. So the difference is not very much. Also I
>trust the reliability of Flash media more than MD
>misc. We suffered a rather high failure rate with our
>Hi-MD disc. We were off loading the information onto a
>laptop and reusing the disc but if you consider the
>cost of a mini disc as a one time use against the cost
>of CF being used many times over then the cost debate
>lands on the Flash side. We also found that as MDs got
>full they started acting weird with data often being
>corrupted.
>Software. I am wrinting this on a computer runing
>Ubuntu. I can not use MD because of the software. When
>we were using them and I was running Windows we had a
>computer fail and could not get our information off of
>the MDs to a different computer. I hear that there
>have been improvments with SonicStage but that it is
>still buggy and weird. Then there is the time to
>transfer and convert files. It takes a couple minutes
>to move files from flash onto a computer and start
>working with them. In two years as the kinks are
>worked out of the flash recorders and the Flash media
>becomes even cheaper MD Recorders will be an even less
>attactive option. True there are problems with flash
>recorders but they are the future.
>Aaron

Hi Aaron--
If you'll spell out your transfer troubles, we might be able to
figure out some ways to lessen the risks in the future.

No recorder can't meet all needs. Recordists apparently gobbled up
the first generation Hi-MD's either to replace failing DATs or as a
first or second field recorder.  I feel its a plus to have quality
recorders at this price point, even with compromises/inconveniences.

I'd welcome more Hi-MD models in the $200-$300 range with better low
power protection and drag-copy transfers using Mac, PC and Linux
platforms. I'd love phantom powering and longer, 24 bit recording
times, but the chances are slim at this price point.

Better CF (and hopefully  large capacity hard disk) recorders will
eventually settle between $600-$1000, but most recordists who might
spend this much on a first recorder would probably be better served
by spending the $400-600 towards mics. Rob D.