Re: HI-MD Achilles Heel

Subject: Re: HI-MD Achilles Heel
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon Apr 9, 2007 10:59 pm ((PDT))
At 4:13 PM +0000 4/9/07, oryoki2000 wrote:

>So if you plan to use a Hi-MD recorder, keep close watch on the power
>level of the battery.

For intermittent stop and start recording running on one AA cell, I
recommend leaving the first generation recorders in pause record when
not recording and stopping every 60-90 minutes to stop/write to disc.
Then, slip in a new, fully charged NiMH battery. The battery meter
will not tell one when it is too low to write to disc.

>Rob D. has a large number of Hi-MD recorders in use by his students.
>Rob, what is the failure rate of Hi-MD discs in your classes?

With some precautions, culled mostly from experiences of recordists
on this and the phonography list, the risks with Hi-MD can be
dramatically lowered. Maybe it was a fluke, but in Fall 2006, we
taught 120+ students to record with and transfer from NH700's using
their PC's at home and had no reported file losses.  I'm in the
process of updating the step by step manual. I'll post an url as soon
as its finished.  Rob D.