Re: what's the diff. between mp3 recorder & mini disc?

Subject: Re: what's the diff. between mp3 recorder & mini disc?
From: "aaron s" dezesticks
Date: Mon Apr 9, 2007 7:46 am ((PDT))
I have to give a counter to a few of the claims that
are Pro MD.
The disc themselves. I am finding buying 1GB Hi-MD
disc at around $7 each. I just bought a 4GB CF card
for $35. So the difference is not very much. Also I
trust the reliability of Flash media more than MD
misc. We suffered a rather high failure rate with our
Hi-MD disc. We were off loading the information onto a
laptop and reusing the disc but if you consider the
cost of a mini disc as a one time use against the cost
of CF being used many times over then the cost debate
lands on the Flash side. We also found that as MDs got
full they started acting weird with data often being
corrupted.
Software. I am wrinting this on a computer runing
Ubuntu. I can not use MD because of the software. When
we were using them and I was running Windows we had a
computer fail and could not get our information off of
the MDs to a different computer. I hear that there
have been improvments with SonicStage but that it is
still buggy and weird. Then there is the time to
transfer and convert files. It takes a couple minutes
to move files from flash onto a computer and start
working with them. In two years as the kinks are
worked out of the flash recorders and the Flash media
becomes even cheaper MD Recorders will be an even less
attactive option. True there are problems with flash
recorders but they are the future.
Aaron

CHECK OUT www.custommarimba.com

For marimba, mbira, mallets, and hosho.