Re: Sony survey (was free advice for Sony and HHB

Subject: Re: Sony survey (was free advice for Sony and HHB
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon Apr 9, 2007 10:48 pm ((PDT))
At 5:01 PM -0700 4/9/07, Chuck B wrote:
>Totally by coincidence, I just got an email requesting I fill in a
>survey for Sony. The last question was, what could Sony do to make me
>more inclined to love them - so I said, stop encoding HiMD minidiscs!!!
>
>Well, I had to pick just one reason.
>

>Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
>
>Membership, Newsletter, Web manager
>Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society
>www.smbas.org

Hi Chuck--
If Sony sent you a general URL, pass it around and others will chime
in.   It does seem reasonable to ask them to not defeat simple file
usb drag-copy transfers-- the disc volume mounts very reliably on Mac
and PC as-is. The other piece we need is the ATRAC decode software.
I'd like to see it as a plug-in so I could expand, EQ, gain boost and
transfer to 24 bits all in one step directly from the oma or wav file
in my editing time line. There was talk of  Sony providing this plug
in their software, Sound Forge.  With an oma decoder in hand, I'd
feel more comfortable archiving the oma files. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts

six, new media faculty positions: