Re: Sound Devices 442 Mixer

Subject: Re: Sound Devices 442 Mixer
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:46 pm ((PDT))
> front end for the 744 - double the advantages.

Actually, get a 702 is even cheaper if you just want the line out or
digital out. Then, you could have 8 channels (744t+722+702)!

Regarding 2 back-to-back MS system for 4 channel, you could use just 3
mics! With only 1 figure-8 in between, the other two M mics eg 2 MKH40
or MKH80 facing opposite. You could decode 4 channels! With 744t, you
could set up to record 3 channels only and that will save your disk
space. Furthermore, since Martyn has a windpac, you could put all 3 mics
in a SINGLE windpac with one extra elastic band to fix them all together
on the suspension. I have done that. Just beware of cable noise. And you
have one less cable to disturb you and the chickens! And if you could
make a XLR-7 extension cable, then only ONE cable coming from the
windpac to your 744t recorder. If you want to try, put a small omni in
the windpac (MKH20 may not work), but a side-pattern MKH80 or MKH800 may
work. Then, with 4 mics in the windpac suspension (doable, I think), you
could even decode 2 side channels from the omni. Record 4 channels (744t
and 1 windpac system) and decode to 7.1 system? But this would require
side pick up mics such as MKH80 or MKH800 or other smaller mics to fit
in a windpac. Other 3-mic in a windpac may be 2 figure-8 and 1 omni. I
am not a tech guy, just imaginations, never tried 4 mics in a
windpac.<<<<<<<

Wow Po-Jen!! What a mouthful!!!

What started as a request for the 442 performance has ended up me wanting a
donkey to carry gear again not unlike the days of carrying huge recorders
with lead batteries and a gazillion cables :-)

I don't really want to carry a whole lot of gear, what I want to be able to
do is simplify what I already have, taking two 7 series recorders into the
field is heavy enough, what I wanted to know is are the mic pre's comparabl=
to the 7 series recorders, I wanted to have all my knobs in one place with
the capability of using the MS feature on the 442 with the Nagra too. what
tempts me with the 442 is there are many options to send the signal from th=
442 and the limiters look pretty good (not that I use limiters much of the
time) as I stated yesterday, I miss the MP2 with the MS option but I don't
really want to go back and buy second hand again at an inflated price. The
fact I do much work with cameramen too gives me an option with the 442.

I have linked the 722 and 744 together and it is a great system..

Question to 442 users, can I send 4 channels from the 442 into the 744 and
use the main XLR outs to the Nagra at the same time?

Now that's what I call having my cake and eating it too.

Thanks PO-Jen for all the permutations of mics, I do have to make sure I
record in MS for most of my ambient sounds because of work demands, clients
insist on having MS to play with, the 722 and 744 make work very easy
decoding and simplifying work..

Martyn

Martyn Stewart

Bird and Animal Sounds Digitally Recorded at:

http://www.naturesound.org

Redmond. Washington. USA

N47.65543 W121.98428

e-mail: