Re: Sound Devices 442 Mixer

Subject: Re: Sound Devices 442 Mixer
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:09 pm ((PDT))
I just have to say, for anyone contemplating a 4 channel recording
option, considering two 722's. They can be linked together, run on
the same type of battery, isn't really any bigger than a 744 and 422
would be, and will be cheaper (about $4500). The unts can be word-
clock linked. AND you have the bonus of splitting the recorders apart
for an instance where you want to record two separate stereo recordings.

It's a bit more work on the back end, since the units don't
synchronize their 'start of file', you'll need to clap or somehow
have a mark to line up the files later. Also, since it's two
recorders, you'll have to move some files around.

I've heard mixed things about the R4, but if Oade can come up with a
decent upgrade, it may be worth looking at.

I'm holding out a tiny bit of hope for Core-Sounds '4Mic' a small
preamp that can 'matrix' 4 channels of 96k into a stereo 192 stream,
or 4 48k channels into a 96k stream, for recording on something like
a Microtrax (via SPDIF). If this works (no reason it shouldn't, just
have to have decent and reliable software to get your four channels
back) it would really open up possibilities.