Re: mkh30/40 or mkh30/50?

Subject: Re: mkh30/40 or mkh30/50?
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:22 pm ((PDT))
On 3/22/07, Tim Nielsen <> wrote:
> different classes of microphones. Two 800's would work, although I
> still fear that the way you'd have to mount them in a zeppelin,
> they're not longer coincident, which would personally make me
> nervous. I have an 800, and it's a great mic though.

There is a solution to do coincident MS / Blumlein with the 80/0's; if
you're not adverse to a little tinkering you can mount them tip to tip
by putting them "backwards" in a pair of Sennheiser style zeppelins
with the end caps of the zep off.

You end up with a very long zeppelin that connects to your mounting
pole (eg a stereo bar rotated 90 degrees) at two points; it's vertical
instead of pointed at your subject.  A bit awkward but it's doable.
Unfortunately the "70" size windjammer does not perfectly fit over
this odd long zeppelin, there are vendors (e.g. on eBay) though that
will make knockoffs at the perfect size to fit over the
"frankebasket."

I just followed a link to these folks this week and suspect with their
somewhat "modular" system it would be possible to rig something like
this:

 http://www.cavision.com/audio/windshields/windshields.htm

My grand vision (which sadly I've been waiting for a year to devote
proper time to!) is to have 800s mounted this way and therefore be
able to rapidly separate or combine the zeppelins in the field for
non-coincident techniques. I'd love to do a proper set of comparison
recordings with the same mics, same recorder, same windshields in
different techniques at the same site...

 Aaron

--

  quietamerican.org
  oneminutevacation.org