Sound Trap Setup

Subject: Sound Trap Setup
From: "Rich Peet" richpeet
Date: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:38 pm ((PDT))
FYI and preaching to the choir:

I think I have talked about all of the pieces but it is now put
together and working in the rain and wind.

125kb photo download showing setup. Second mic was not used for a
stereo image this time out, rather it was set at 20 db less volume
should I be priveledged to have had a bird displaying from on top of
the mic.
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/Trap.jpg

500kb audio file. First segment in 30mph gust, second segment is me
walking up to it in short grass (shorter grass than shown in the
photo). No edit, micpre gain set at +60db. Original file 24/44.1.
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/Trap.mp3

Mic tripod - AKG
Mic's - Audio Technica 3032
Windscreen - Built from a Shop Vac Filter Element with swim suit
material as a cover.
Mic Cables - StarQuad by Connectronics
Waterproof Case - Military 50 caliber machine gun surplus amo case
with neutrix connectors attached.
Recorder SD722
Battery Sealed Lead Acid 12 volt 7 amp (UPS type battery)
Additional aluminium heat sink from surplus store.
battery cable built out of hirose connector and aligator clips. Foam
rubber pieces to make a firm fit for heat sinking the recorder to the
case wall.

Set out the sound trap at dark 4:30. Timed record to capture grouse on
a lek from 5:30 to 8:30.  Winds 10 to 20 mph and gusting to 30mph.
You have heard me talk about wind whistles from cables now you can
hear them.  I need to find a right angle xlr connector for the mic
cables to add alittle more room for the recorder but Neutrix ones are
too wide to plug into the 722 properly. Temp was 34 degrees F and the
 recorder case still felt 34 F after 3 hours of recording.

Next test project is to make current drain observations of the
recorder in Record , Playback, and waiting for timed record for both
hdd and cf card.

Rich Peet
PS the Grouse did not dance in the rain and wind this morning but it
is still early season.