Re: Military Surplus Ammo Boxes

Subject: Re: Military Surplus Ammo Boxes
From: "Marty Michener" enjoybirds
Date: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:17 am ((PST))
>About thirtyfive years ago, we had the problem of building a cave-friendly=

>waterproof container around with which to haul surveying gear (Bruntons,
>etc.) which wouldn't bang of the cave as much as the classical ammos (they=

>left huge go8uges in the stalagmites and walls) and would float!!! Someone=

>came up with the idea of huge poly-bottles (4 liter, 5 liters?). They
>worked very well, you could slither right down the chute into water over
>your head, towing the bottle by the blue-jean leg and shoulder strap you
>had sewed together, yet you could get at your dry carbide, candles and
>surveying gear by just unscrewing the big green lid. The poly-bottles
>mostly would float, but I loaded mine down with the heavy duty NiCd "D"
>cells for my extra flashlights (about 8 or 12 of them) and mine then had
>the distinction of sinking. :-D

--  best regards,  Marty Michener
MIST Software Assoc. Inc.,  P. O. Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049
http://www.enjoybirds.com/
If you think plants are not important for living, try it without oxygen for=

a few hours.
"I am strongly induced to believe that as in music, the person who
understands every note, if
he also possesses a proper taste, more thoroughly enjoy the whole, so he
who examines each
part of a fine view, may also thoroughly comprehend the full and combined
effect.
Hence, a traveler should be a botanist, for in all views plants form the
chief embellishment."
         Charles Darwin, The Voyage of the Beagle