Panasonic WM-61A's

Subject: Panasonic WM-61A's
From: "Phil Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:12 am ((PST))
Having been following Tom's experiments with cheap electret capsules
I thought I would try them out. So I found a UK supplier of the
Panasonic WM61A's and had a go.
I have a recording made using a pair of single capsules, which are
soldered to the end of some screened wire and then I covered them in
heat-shrink. (As illustrated on one of Rob's web pages I think)
I used a 'Jecklin' style barrier and put it in the back garden, with
a mic either side. Sorry it is a fairly noisy environment, what with
planes overhead, cars, a whine of a road cleaner, burst of chain saw,
and motorbikes, (but it was the driest and wind free day we had for
some time) Even so I was fairly impressed with what 80pence / $1.50
can achieve. You can listen to it at:
http://www.astd59.dsl.pipex.com/sounds.html
The birds that you can hear 'chirping' are mainly House Sparrows,
which are in decline all over our country. In fact they recently did
a count in Regents Park in London and failed to find one. I can have
26 sitting in a small tree in my small garden chirping away and
eating me out of house and home as regards bird food. So if anyone
wants a House Sparrow you know where to come!
I think, like Tom, I will try making up some triplets next.
Phil

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."