Re: Powering Sony MZ-NH900 with 4.8 volts

Subject: Re: Powering Sony MZ-NH900 with 4.8 volts
From: "Phil Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:09 am ((PST))
Hi John
The reason why I asked the original question was I saw on Rob
Danielsons' info about Hi-MD's a section on DIY power supplies.
There were several on view, one showing 2 x D cells, 2 x AA cells and
yours showing 4 x AA rechargeable cells. Your rechargeable option
looked like a good idea, that was until I checked the voltage coming
out of my mains power supply for the MZ-NH900 which was 3.49 volts
under no load. The AA rechargeable cells are quoted as having
a 'voltage' of 1.2 volts, but measuring some freshly charged AA cells
they actually give 1.49 volts each under no load making 5.96 volts
for a 4 cell sled. So I began to wonder if in fact it would be OK to
actually go 2.47 volts over on the DC input to the MZ-NH900, some 70%
over voltage, even 3 cells would be almost a volt over.
Re-reading the spec sheet for the MZ-NH900 it only gives 3 volts DC
as the input voltage.
I re-checked the freshly charged batteries some 15 minutes after
coming off charge and they have fallen to 1.41 volts each under no
load, so 4 cells would now be 5.64 volts and 3 cells 4.23 volts, how
quickly they would drop to their supposed nominal voltage of 1.2
volts under load I don't know.
I was just concerned that I did not 'fry' the DC input of the NH900.
I knew of someone who tried powering one of the original MD machines
(Sony MZ-R3?) using a 6 volt lead acid battery, it was quoted as
being 6 volts DC in on the MD machine. Well there was apparently an
initial 'puff' of smoke from the unit and the display flashed
up 'over-voltage' but it carried on working for many years after
that, even off of his 6 volt lead acid battery!
So have you run your NH-700 using 4 x rechargeable cells with no ill
effects?
Phil

--- In  "John Hartog"