Re: Powering Sony MZ-NH900 with 4.8 volts

Subject: Re: Powering Sony MZ-NH900 with 4.8 volts
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:43 pm ((PST))

At 6:49 PM +0000 1/23/07, Neil Tungate wrote:
>Phil Tyler wrote:
>
>>  So have you run your NH-700 using 4 x rechargeable cells with no ill
>>  effects?
>
>I'd be inclined to go with a two cell sled - the NH700 works off a
>single cell internally so it doesn't need much voltage to operate. If
>you don't exceed the stated nominal 3V external input you *cannot* go wrong.
>
>--
>Neil Tungate
>http://www.skipper.org.uk

This is pretty much the tact I took at first. One AA works fine for
warm weather short expeditions, a two AA sled a little better and a
two D sled is better-- but not as good as I expected when I compare
the mah ratings of the A and D cells. I think the recorders circuitry
is under designed when it comes to detecting whether there's enough
power left for the demanding and crucial  "write to disc" mode- for
both internal battery and and the DC input (which is more explainable
as the power adapter usually provides a steady 3.5v).

In my experience, there's evidence that the higher voltage provides a
performance edge-- most useful when 7+ hour Hi-SP recordings are the
goal.  When the units is powered via the USB cable, its getting 5
volts from the computer. Three 1.2 to 1.5 volt cells should be as
safe as two.  Initial voltage above 5 might concern some.

My tact is to make sure there's a enough power in the sled to carry
it the 7+ hours through the write mode. I assume the low voltage
sensor isn't designed well enough to do its job right every time. Rob
D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts