Re: New Li-Ion 9 volt and charger

Subject: Re: New Li-Ion 9 volt and charger
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:47 am ((PST))
Posted by: "Adam Liberman"

>> > What is the capacity of a normal alkaline 9V just for comparison?
>
> 9v
> 175mAH NiMH (nom 7.2V, 8.4V and 9.6V also avail with reduced capacity)

I recently saw ads for 265mAH NIMH 9V. The ones I'm currently using,
which are several years old, are 180mAH 9.6volt NIMH.

> 500mAH Li-ION (nom 8.4V)
> 625mAH Alkaline (nom 9V)

I'm not totally trusting of this high rating of Alkalines. I've had name
brand alkalines fail to provide as much time as the 180mAH NIMH.

Note on voltages, rechargables and alkalines don't use the same rating
system for that. On rechargables it's the voltage when 80% discharged
that's given, actual voltage earlier will be higher. For alkalines, it's
the voltage of a brand new unused battery, and drops rapidly, actual
voltage in use will be lower, often a lot lower. For most of the usable
life the NIMH will be higher than the Alkaline.

Someone said you cannot run wireless mics with rechargables. I run the
Sennheiser digital wireless system entirely on NIMH rechargables with no
problem. Just like alkalines you do have to keep track of running times.
If you are disorganized and don't pay attention no battery will work
without failure.

> AA
> 2500mAH NiMH

Can't remember highest I've seen recently, but I think it was higher
than that.