Re: Noiselevel on Sony MZ-RH1

Subject: Re: Noiselevel on Sony MZ-RH1
From: "sveinung_nygaard" sveinung_nyg=
aard
Date: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:11 am ((PST))

I have uploaded two files called line_input_RH1.wav and
mic_input_RH1.wav. They were recorded using a cable into the mic
preamp input that did not lead anywhere, and with gain up to 30. I did
this just to make it switch to the mic input instead of using the
line. The line file was just created pressing record on the device,
also with a gain of 30.

There is a distinct noise and also a lower tone in the mic recordings,
which make recordings unusable.

Hope these samples can help us narrow down the problem.

Sveinung

<linnet@> wrote:
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  This sounds like there is a fault. Neumann quote the
sensitivity at a
> >>  >>  decent 23mV/Pa and a self-noise of 7dBA, so the RH1 preamp
noise costs
> >>  >>  you about 2dB self-noise.
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  When I had one on loan to test the noise floor of the RH1
driven by a
> >>  >>  180R resistive load had a slight hint of hum, which I
suspect to being
> >>  >>  due to the OLED display which has a 100Hz refresh rate.
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  One question - are you battery powering the phantom unit (ie
there
> >>  >>  isn't an earth loop with the phantom powering), since the
RH! is not a
> >>  >>  balanced input, so the phantom unit and mics should be fully
floating
> >>  >>  if possible?
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  --- In  "sveinung_nygaard"
> >>  >>  <sveinung.s.nygaard@> wrote:
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  > I might be mistaken, but it seems to me that the mic pre
on the Sony
> >>  >>  MZ-RH1 is very noise. If
> >>  >>  > anybody cold lead me on the right track I would be very
thankful. I
> >>  >>  have one of these
> >>  >>  > recorders, and I tried comparing it to the preamp on my
MOTU 828 mk2,
> >>  >>  and the mic pre on
> >>  >>  > the sony recorder has a lot of high frequency noice on it.
I used a