Re: microphone stands in the field

Subject: Re: microphone stands in the field
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Tue Dec 5, 2006 3:05 pm ((PST))
Posted by: "Lou Judson"

> Shure sells a wonderful stand that folds into a 3.5 ft x 3" carry bag
> and goes up 15'
>
> <http://www.wmcworld.com/micinv.asp?mic=3D1192>
>
> I use this for classical recording as well... very light weight!

I have a older Shure stand that's probably in the same series, looks
very similar, though it goes even taller. It's big problem is that the
tube sections used are too small. With a big mic like the Telinga or
SASS on it at full height you are in danger of those sections breaking
due to flex. Particularly so if there is any breeze or if you cannot get
a perfectly flat place to set it. Would work for a lighter mono mic in
calm situations, but I only work in stereo now.

Once I found the light stands I've not used the Shure much. I feel much
more confident putting the expensive mics up on the light stands that
they won't come crashing down. Though it always must be done with care.