microphone stands in the field

Subject: microphone stands in the field
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Thu Dec 7, 2006 1:01 am ((PST))
I use a Manfrotto 'nano stand', model number 001:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/1965

It folds down to 48cm length, extends to 190cm high, and weighs less
than a kilogram. One of the best things I've ever bought...

I am happy with it for most of my applications. In some situations I'd
like to go higher, and in some I'd like a boom arm so that I can get
down very low.

Mine has the smaller microphone thread on top, requiring a thread
adaptor (readily available from just about anywhere) to use the larger
thread. However, the later versions of this stand do not have a
threaded end; instead, Manfrotto will sell you a 'head' that slips on
and tightens with a butterfly nut. The advantages of this are that, by
leaving the 'head' permanently attached to your microphone clip, you
can simply slip your mic rig on and off with ease; also, if you ever
happend to strip the thread you have not ruined the stand. The
disadvantage is that the head thing costs you more money and adds
marginally more weight to the set-up.

I hope that's helpful...

- Greg Simmons