Re: microphone stands in the field

Subject: Re: microphone stands in the field
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Tue Dec 5, 2006 9:54 pm ((PST))
For its one small chapter on the fundamentals of outdoor sound
propagation I found the following book quite useful:

Handbook for sound engineers / Glen M. Ballou, editor
Boston, Mass.; Oxford : Focal, 2005, c2002.
3rd ed.; paperback ed.
ISBN    0240807588

I check it out now and then from the local library, though I would
love to own a copy - so if anyone finds a used one somewhere for
cheap, please let me know.

Having a basic understanding of theoretical effects of reflection,
refraction, diffraction and diffusion, and how they relate to the
natural recording environment including ground surface, topography,
foliage, temperature, wind, (and whatever else) can be helpful when
searching for the desired recording location or at least for helping
understanding the recordings after the fact.

Depending on the conditions and what you are trying to record, mic
placement could be better up high or down low (though personally, for
most of my recordings I put my mics at chest height or higher.)

One thing for sure is, natural soundscape recording has little to do
with the average height above the ground of the average human head =96
except for convenience which definitely counts for something.

John Hartog