Re: microphone stands in the field

Subject: Re: microphone stands in the field
From: "Eric Schmidt" eric_v_s43420
Date: Thu Dec 7, 2006 1:06 pm ((PST))
Mark;

I have been out on the road and just got back and am responding (hopefully
not too late) to your request for info.

I was a photographer for many years, but for the past 20 I have worked in
video.  What you might find useful are C-stands.  They are a type of light
stand.  Some call them turtle stands because the leg section is called a
turtle base.  These are quality stands and almost a prerequisite for being
taken seriously in the lighting department.  I use them for lighting and
also to place mics both on location and when I am doing nature recording fo=
myself.

They are two piece stands.  The leg section, and the pole section.  You
should also get a grip head and grip arm for your needs too. The grip head
is an attachment devise for the grip arm (which also has a grip head built
into one end).  The larger one would probably be best for you - at 40
inches.  The grip heads allow the arm to be adjusted to any angle for a
proper placement of the mice.  With the extra head you can choke up on the
arm to shorten it to the optimum length.

As I said earlier, it is a two section stand (and 3 section for taller
ones).  The pole section comes in several lengths, ones I have go up about =
4
foot to others that will extend 14 foot.   Others may go higher.  Much
higher than a tripod.  It will hold any weight you want to put on it as the=
are built to hold about 10 -15 pound lights.  You may want to get a sand ba=
or two if you go really high or have a lot of weight at a maximum extension=
.

There are two types of legs - the normal (which comes in a couple of
different diameters) - you'll want the bigger because I assume you'll want
to get one of the taller poles.  The other base is the one you'll want.
Called an adjustable led stand or a mountain stand.  It has one leg that is
adjustable in height for use on uneven terrain.

Manufacturers are Avenger, Matthews (best), and probably others.  Can be
purchased at  out of NYC or any other store that supplies professional
video or photo gear.  Cost will be about $150 to $200 for a base, pole, arm=
,
and  head (smaller sizes).  Can't quote an exact price because I believe yo=
should use the bigger ones and it has been several years since I've got
mine.

You'll probably need an adapter to get from your mic mounting rig to the
5/8ths size of the arm (not a 5/8th mic thread mount) but the diameter of
the pole and stud end of the pole.  The adapters are readily found in
professional lighting and audio stores.

Hope I'm not too late in my response as I've used tripods, etc. and have
settled on this as THE way to go.

Eric Schmidt

  _____