Preventing Thunder Distortion

Subject: Preventing Thunder Distortion
From: "guyhand2" guyhand2
Date: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:36 am (PDT)
I've been familiarizing myself with my new Sound Devices 722 and Shure VP88
stereo mic by
recording the numerous thunderstorms that have rumbled through Idaho this
summer.
Although I've been careful to keep my volume levels low enough not to distort
the loudest
cracks of thunder, I find the occasional sound of distortion in playback.

When I look at the waveforms in ProTools, I don't see any clipping and they
appear to be well
below a distored level, yet I can hear it now and then (but not on all of the
thunder, and not
neccessarily on the loudest occurances).

Do I need to change the Gain Range on the 722 from "normal" to "low" even
though the
overall level is lower than I'd like?  Any other suggestions?

Also, on a slightly different slant on sound levels,  I find that in general
recording on any of
my mics if I don't keep the volume near the top end of the level meter LEDs on
the 722  (near
the 0 dBFS mark), I get a far more anemic final level (as seen in a ProTools
wave form) than I
was accustomed to getting on my old Sony DAT recorder at what appeared to be
more
moderate levels.  Any suggestion?

Guy